“I just want to get rid of these under eye circles. Nothing I have tried works!”….I have heard this cry of desperation no less than 3 times a day for the last 6 years. I like to call these unwanted under eye bags the little pillows of debauchery, because they always show up when you have had more than a glass of wine, a shake of salt, or less than a solid nights sleep. There are different types of under eye circles and they have their own catalysts. Which of these do you think are your plague? 1. Bags- These youth stealers may be bulging fat pads or simply fluid sacs caused by age, genetics, salt intake, sleeplessness, allergies or a combination.
2. Dark circles caused by pigmentation- Usually hereditary, these can also be caused or worsened by sun exposure and mishandling the delicate skin.
3. Dark circles caused by blood vessels- This can be hereditary as well as lifestyle. Other likely culprits can be thin delicate skin, smoking, loss of collagen, allergies, and vasodilators ( alcohol, Viagra, grapefruit, Minoxidil)
Once you have determined your bag style you can start taking steps to reduce them! The main lifestyle factors that you will wear on your face are: smoking, sun exposure, poor diet (high sodium, prepackaged, super processed foods), dehydration, lack of appropriate skin care, and lack of sleep. You must take control and stop these big fat no no’s or you will be throwing your money away on treatments. I promise.
Cosmetic treatments that work like a charm:
- Medium Depth Chemical Peels- I swear by the VI peel for my under eye rejuvenation. It removes lines and lightens pigmentation
- Pixel Fractionated Resurfacing- Builds collagen and removes lines like a dream.
- Dermal fillers- Fills in the dark trough under the eye. This is an incredible treatment and is very popular at the studio where I work. My doctor uses the softest of the fillers and totally revamps tired eyes in a quick 15 minute treatment.
Derma Darling Recommended Products:
I am also a huge advocate of make up artistry just like our favorite celebrities. By following the above recommendations and combining stellar camouflaging techniques, you can be bright-eyed, bushy-tailed, and maintain your ladylike image by hiding any sign of your indiscretions;) Try this under eye concealing Kim Kardashian tutorial by stellar makeup artist Huda Heidi Kattan.